Let it Snow! Tips on Removing Snow a Healthier Way!
By Lydia Patel
Old Man Winter came in with a bang, if you’re unfortunate enough to have to dig through mountains of snow, then you’ll probably want to gear up first – literally. On top of layering up properly to protect yourself from the elements, there is a RIGHT and WRONG way to shovel. In fact, shoveling is one of the leading causes of heart attacks during the winter season. So, keeping that in mind, here are some tips to help you pave the way and keep in shape!
1) Stretch! Like any other form of exercise you’re about to do, it’s important to stretch those muscles and get them ready for action.
2) Move the snow the shortest distance that you can. It works best moving it to the nearest edge, that way you don’t end up shoveling over twice.
3) Maintain a good posture to avoid injuries. Keep your back straight as you move from the squat position to the upright position. Don’t twist your upper body as you throw snow.
4) Don’t overdress. We want to stay warm but piling on too many layers can lead to a lot of sweat in a very little time.
5) Do it in small rounds. It’s easier to remove snow in smaller sets than wait until all the snow is down to have at it. If it looks like your area is going to get dumped on, try to get out there and shovel it and go back for a second round.
Share you snow removal tips with us too and let us know what works best for you!